24th International Congress of History of Science, Technology and Medicine

Visas and other entry requirements

All attendees from outside the UK are responsible for making sure they have the correct documentation to enter the country. Before you travel, please consult the UK Border Agency (UKBA)’s guide at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/

EEA and Switzerland

Most travellers whose nationality is of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland will only require a standard passport.

Other nationalities

If you are of another nationality, the first step is to establish whether you need a visa for travel. Start with the UKBA’s page at

This will direct you to further guidance, which you should read very closely. Note that if your sole purpose in coming to the UK is to attend the Congress, it is very likely you will be considered a ‘Business Visitor’.

If you do not require a visa, it is possible that you will instead need other documentation: you are advised to check this before proceeding.

In case of any uncertainty, please consult the UKBA directly via the contact details given on its website, or the British Embassy in your country.

Applying for a visa

The earliest you can apply for a visitor’s visa is three months before the date of travel to the UK. You are advised to begin your application as soon as possible within this period, as the process is not trivial. According to the UKBA's statement on visa processing times, applications for short trips may in some cases take up to 12 weeks to be resolved.

You can apply for a visa online at Visa4UK, the official British Government website for visa applications:

Please note that neither the University of Manchester, nor the organisers of iCHSTM 2013, are authorised to provide official advice to conference attendees on visa issues. Should your application be denied, iCHSTM 2013 cannot change the decision of the UKBA, nor can we engage in discussion or correspondence with the UKBA or the British Embassy on behalf of the applicant.

Confirmation of involvement in the Congress and other supporting documentation

Applications for visas and other travel documents may need to be supported with official letters confirming that the Congress will take place on the dates declared, or that we recognise you as a contributor. These will be provided by the University of Manchester’s conference services organisation, Confercare. See the Applying for documentation page for full details.